Sample Lesson Plans
Kurzweil 3000 is a curriculum independent assistive technology tool. It can be used across the range of curriculum areas, grade levels, and student skill levels. The following Lesson Plans are designed to support educators in their efforts to implement the use of Kurzweil 3000 in their classrooms. These lesson plans serve as a small representative sample of the ways that Kurzweil 3000 features can be used to enhance classroom instruction by making typical classroom lessons accessible for students with learning difficulties. These Lesson Plans were submitted by educators who are actively using Kurzweil 3000 with students with a variety of learning difficulties including: Learning Disabilities, Vision Impairment, ADD/ADHD, and Physical Impairments.
Sample classroom tests for use with Kurzweil 3000®
Each Lesson Plan includes:
Lesson Plan Outline
Kurzweil 3000 file
- Subject Area
- Recommended Grade Level
- Materials needed
- Extension Activities
- Kurzweil 3000 features used
- Suggestions for Replication
This is included to provide educators with lessons that can be used in the classroom immediately. Because the .kes file is provided, you do not need to have access to a scanner or scan/read station to use the lesson plans.
Microsoft Word file
This is included to allow educators to easily share and modify the lessons. After altering the lesson to suit your specific classroom needs, use the virtual print function to create a new Kurzweil 3000 file.
List of Contributors:
- Kathleen Ames, Special Education Teacher-Middle School
- Jennifer Edge-Savage, MS, OTR/L, Assistive Technology Specialist
- Kim McArdle, MEd, Special Education Teacher - Elementary School
- Colleen McCarthy, MEd, Special Education Teacher - Middle School
- Marlene McIntosh, BSc, MBA, Learning Strategist/Assistive Devices Technician - Post-Secondary Education
- Jay Savage, MEd, Special Education Teacher - High School
- Mary Tobin, MEd, Special Education Teacher - High School
We welcome your suggestions. If you would like to submit your own innovative lesson plan, please email
it to us for review.