Adapt Instruction, Not Curriculum...
Kurzweil Educational Systems®
, the pioneer in text-to-speech and assistive technology presents Kurzweil 3000®
, an award winning integrated literacy software, providing powerful reading, writing, study skill and test-taking
support for English Language Learners from elementary to adults.
The English Language Learner (ELL), also referred to as English as a Second Language (ESL), student population is the fastest growing student sub-group in the American educational system. ELL students face two challenges: learning a new language while simultaneously encountering unfamiliar academic material. Assistive Technology, specifically Kurzweil 3000, can help ELL students master the necessary skills to become successful learners with the support of our comprehensive suite of educational tools which meet the unique educational needs of ELLs in reading, writing, and study skills development.
A Multisensory Approach to Learning
Kurzweil 3000 is an assistive technology tool that is anchored in the concepts of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) allowing English learners to access more advanced material while improving word recognition as they continue to learn grade-level material. Kurzweil 3000 can be used in the classroom to support ELL - ESL students with the class curriculum, later at the college level for academic coursework or as an adult reader for leisure or professional work.
Bilingual dictionaries and support for picture dictionaries provide instant reinforcement.
Features includes support for:
Online translation tools reinforce comprehension, increase vocabulary, and build language skills.
- Access to Reading Materials: All major digital file formats, online text, and scanned print materials are accessible through Kurzweil 3000.
- Writing: A talking word processor, auditory spell check, bilingual dictionary, and thesaurus build lifelong writing skills.
- Speaking: Students can practice their English fluency by recording themselves reading.
- Listening: Text is highlighted as it is read aloud to allow for visual tracking and can be repeated as many times as necessary to facilitate learning.
- Test-taking: Tools provided in Kurzweil 3000 allow the assessment of content knowledge without the penalty for the inability to read English proficiently.
- Independence: Students learn at their own pace, without the need for translators.
- Language Learning: Audible dictionaries are provided for English, French, German, Spanish, and Italian. Integration with Google™ Translate allows translation "on the fly."
- Study Skills: Highlighters, outline tools, and a variety of note formats improve comprehension and the ability to perform academic research.
We invite you to learn more about Kurzweil 3000 by reading the research
that supports the use of Kurzweil 3000 in ELL classrooms.
Learn how Kurzweil 3000 can be used as a technology solution for higher education