Support for College Students with Disabilities
Help them Succeed! Improve Graduation Rates!
Kurzweil® 3000 is an award-winning, research-based, assistive technology tool helping students with learning disabilities, those diagnosed with dyslexia, dysgraphia or other literacy challenges.
College students face numerous challenges. In addition to the challenges of being in a new environment, students are showing up to college more and more unprepared for the rigors of coursework due to academic limitations that include their ability to:
- Comprehend an increased volume of reading
- Develop effective study skills
- Differentiate between essential and non-essential information
What is Kurzweil 3000—firefly?
Kurzweil 3000—firefly offers a multisensory approach and multiple means of access to text; whether in print or in digital formats. Kurzweil 3000 includes the highest quality Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software available, which reproduces scanned print documents with the exact layout and formatting found in the original.
Access Wherever, Whenever Learning Happens!
Kurzweil 3000—firefly Web Licensing makes it easy to reach college students wherever and whenever learning takes place and now includes the FREE fireflyiPad® App, delivering mobile access to your digital content.
- Simultaneously listen to and read scanned text, image text (such as PDF files), digital files and Internet pages
- Access multiple file types that include: EPUB; TXT; HTML; PDF; TIFF; NIMAS; MathML; DOC; RTF; DAISY and ANY scanned paper with text and photos
- Visually track words and phrases on screen as they are read aloud
- Use colored highlighters and other visual prompts to identify important information
- Support strategies for text or recorded note taking, organization, editing
- Create MP3 audio files for use with iPods, iPhones and iPads
- Hear their own writing read aloud to them
- Take advantage of the language learning supports such as mulitple English and bilingual dictionaries, Google® Translate and voice note tool
- Improve study skills by using the research and writing functionalities such as sticky notes, extraction of outlines and column notes, auditory spell check and word prediction
- Enter the writing process from multiple points: the graphic organizer, outline or draft views